The Mayfield Community & Health Centre project is regaining momentum with Plan B, which is a cost-reduced design albeit providing much the same functionality as Plan A.
Meetings with Wealden District Council (WDC) are now occurring regularly with monthly Project Board meetings and two weekly design team meetings.
Governance issues have been addressed and the financial structure is currently being re-affirmed. The focus on cost is ongoing since it is recognised as being key to the ultimate success of the project. On the finance side, an application to the government’s Community Ownership Fund for £250k has been submitted and we think a strong case has been made, but we will probably not know the outcome until just after Christmas.
A new procurement model is being adopted which, together with being on a fixed price basis, will provide greater certainty regarding the final price to be paid.
Planning permission was granted for the original Plan A design and the joint project team is in discussion with the WDC planning department to determine whether a full re-submission will be required or whether a Section 73 agreement, that can be used to vary the conditions of a previous planning permission, might apply if the Plan B external design and location is substantially the same as Plan A.
As time goes by the project activity is steadily increasing and there will be more to report in the coming months.
A reminder about the purpose of the project
To develop a new purpose-built sustainably built Community and Health Centre for the Parish of Mayfield and Five Ashes in partnership with Wealden District Council for the benefit of its residents.
- Main Benefits and Features:
- A multi-purpose (23m x 10m) Community Hall
- De-mountable stage to maximise flexibility of use of the Main Hall
- Purpose built lower ground-floor health centre (350 m2) incorporating 4 no. GP Rooms, 3 No. Treatment Rooms, 21 Patient Waiting Room and ancillary Staff Spaces.
- MAYFACS office
- Community Hub
- Meeting Rooms (2)
- Car parking for 84 cars (50% larger than existing car park)
- Enlarged two-way vehicular access with improved safety
- Electric (vehicle) charging points
- Terraced area with magnificent open views across Court Meadow
- Preservation of existing tree line and open space
- Occupying existing developed 2 acre site
- Retention of existing band hut
- Planned completion date - end 2023