Mayfield Events and Festivals
Mayfield holds a number of large events during the year - traditional, historical, musical and artistic.
The main events are:
- the Mayfield Mayfair, celebrating traditional May activities with local children dancing round the Maypole, Morris Men, Mummers and a host of stalls and attractions. There is even a chance for everyone to try their hand at Maypole dancing in our "Big Dance" This is normally held on the 2nd Saturday of May each year.
- the historic Bonfire Parade celebrating those martyred by Queen Mary in the 16th century. Over 450 years of tradition come together as the local East Sussex bonfire societies with their colourful individual costumes and lit torches all come to parade through the village on a Saturday evening in mid-September
- a biennial Festival of Music and Arts which includes the Tunbridge Wells International Music Competition. In 2022 the Mayfield Festival of Music and the Arts will take place from Sunday 24 April to Sunday 8 May and will open with the world premiere of the Cantata of St. Dunstan, a new work by the composer Nicholas O'Neill that was commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary of the festival in 2020. Moreover, the festival's Artistic Director, Jeremy Summerly, has put together a superb programme that will see music spanning some 500 years of musical history performed by a host of outstanding artists.
- a Fringe festival
- an Art Trail: spread over 15 venues in Mayfield & Five Ashes and open 11am - 5pm April 27-29, May 4-6 and 11-13. See website diary entries for more details
- and a Slow Short Film Festival. The second festival, on 1st September 2018, is to be confirmed.